Cotton Grass

Hurrah! I've finished the fourth woodcut print for the Pennine Prospects commission.  Its not that I didn't enjoy the work but there's a certain satisfaction in getting the job done.  

Carving the block for this image was fast and easy, but just like the Twite, printing was a problem. The same flaw in the wood was apparent - not surprising since I sawed a larger block in half.  This time I had to resort to Makeready and Underlay, technical terms for adding customised paper padding above and below the block to affect the printing pressure in specific areas.  Eventually the patchiness resolved itself into even black printing - much to my relief.

I feel that this image could be enhanced by the use of different coloured ink and tonight I've been playing with Photoshop to get an idea of the colours I might use.

No comments: