Ringstone Reservoir - Indigo and Ultramarine



On Monday I made an addition to my 'collection' of reservoir valve towers.  This one is at Ringstone Reservoir, on Ringstone Edge Moor above Barkisland. Its rotund and flask like shape made me think of the temple of Angkor Wat in Cambodia although really there's not that much resemblance.



The brilliant wintery sunshine in an almost clear November sky made for mesmerising blue water lapping round this semi submerged small tree.

I wondered about the lovely name Ringstone before noticing a nearby cairn circle marked on the map and a distinct unploughed green circle within the brown furrows of the corresponding field beyond the water.

I'd have liked to explore the circle but there didn't seem to be any access as two sides of the reservoir are closed off to provide undisturbed overwintering for birds such as Golden Plover and Lapwings like these flying over the remains of the ring.








Lapwings are wonderful birds and this week I've been lucky enough to see quite large flocks of them here in the South Pennines over Ringstone and at Pitsford Res in Northamptonshire.

No comments: