The Bird Book is hatching


I'm still working on my bird book.  I've just completed gouging a pattern of willow leaves onto a wooden block for making the paper that will become the front and back covers.  It was quite time-consuming and hard work, clearing all the wood in the spaces between the leaves.  I can't wait to try printing from this block.  To begin with I will print it in black ink on leaf green paper.









The birds are coming along too.  I'm using a print and collage process, printing onto many different coloured papers and then collaging different areas to gain a multi coloured effect.
I was first alerted to this way of working by an article on the illustrator Hannah Firmin and a wonderful image of ornate Bali slippers.  If you have recently read any of Alexander McCall Smith's 'The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency' novels you will have seen Hannah's work on the covers.  I love both printmaking and collage but found it difficult to cut up my prints to begin with, possibly because I was trained in a strictly purist ethos.  But who makes up these rules? and why do we feel constrained to obey them?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the reference to McColl's Ladies Detective Agency - I enjoy reading the tales he writes, but have also spent quite a long time looking at the cover.
Now I know why I am fascinated by them!

Sue

ANGIE ROGERS said...

Yes, Hannah Firmin's print work is lovely and very recognisably hers.
I was pleased to discover that she is a daughter of the late Peter Firmin, co-creator of Noggin The Nog, one of my favourite childhood series.

under the hill said...

these are stunning... you have mentioned tinting. I have never used block prints. Do you make several prints overlapping colour or do you mean that you tint the coloured areas by different means?

ANGIE ROGERS said...

Hi Under The Hill, yes I do mean tinting by other means - I usually print the block in black or another dark colour and when its dry I use watercolour paint or light-fast ink to colour the paper.